The mission of the Latino Center of the Midlands is to enhance the lives of the Heartland Latino Community by supporting the education and development of our youth and adults; promoting comprehensive engagement of our families in all facets of their lives; and by fostering leadership through a variety of services and activities.
The Family and Community Well-Being Department (FCW) provides clients the tools necessary to live a healthy, self-sufficient, and fulfilling life. We do this by directly engaging the community, partnering with other organizations, and advocating on our community’s behalf.
Serves as advocate for the families they serve and connects them to vital services in the community. Assists in preparing, planting, and maintaining a garden and provides education in many areas of health and wellness.
1. Promotes gardening and garden education
2. Provides and imparts wellness/health lessons
3. Fosters and supports families with connections to community resources
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Provides education in areas of general health, including: gardening, nutrition, and available social services.
• Visits families in their homes a minimum of twice a month.
• Teaches families basic gardening skills like planting fruits and vegetable, maintaining a garden, and harvesting.
• Teaches families basic nutrition and health related lessons.
• Photographs gardens, and reports on family outcomes.
• Engages families to assess their needs, provides case management, necessary action planning, connections to community resources, and follow-ups.
• Collects, uploads, and reports data into the LCM data collection system and case management systems.
• Coordinates and schedules community activities throughout the year such as workshops or cooking classes.
• Serves as a professional representative of the Latino Center of the Midlands and follows organization mission and policies.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service.
• Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension.
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
• Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources.
• Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills; troubleshoots technological problems.
• Safety and Security – Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the competencies, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school (horticulture, human services, public health or related field); OR six months to one-year related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be bilingual in Spanish and English (fluent).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
No certificates, licenses, registrations required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.